Saturday, August 2, 2008

Hospitals need to get with the Organic program

This week is the two year anniversary of my dad's diagnosis and recovery from prostate cancer surgery. I remember the day vividly when he told my husband and I and that sinking feeling in my stomach after hearing that dreadful word.

It's become such a common part of life: that we will all get cancer at some point. I read that somewhere and thought, "that's not acceptable". I've blogged before on Pure Soapbox about the business of cancer, but after my dad was in the hospital I had another "that is not acceptable" moment.

We were gathering his belongings before he was ready to be discharged. He asked me if I could take the little bottles of shampoo in the bathroom. (The travel agent in him could not resist. We grew up with nothing but travel size bottles from all his hotel stays!) I laughed and said "sure". I grabbed one of the bottles and being the perpetual label reader I am, I curiously looked at the ingredients label. Unbelievable. The shampoo was full of highly-toxic synthetic ingredients, fragrances and dyes.

We supposedly have the best health care system in the country. And, I'm not minimizing the treatment my dad received by any means. But, the irony is we're the sickest country and there is such blatent misunderstanding about true causes of disease and illness. Studies are now showing (by many doctor's not linked or receiving kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies like the ones who make the shampoo) that these ingredients are known carcinogens. It's like saying "Good news Jim, you're free of cancer, but don't forget your FREE bottle of toxic shampoo and another dose of cancer before you leave!

Shortly thereafter I approached a colleague I know at the hospital (I won't mention it, but it's ranked one of the top 100 hospitals in the country) about switching to more pure alternatives. She was intrigued by my discovery, especially the PR value the hospital would receive by saying they've switched to healthier, organic products for patients, but I don't think has the pull to really influence change. Afterall, it's a cost issue I'm sure. And why would a hospital choose to pay more for a better product when they can continue to use the cheap crappy one? That's why people like me are out there educating and beginning to spread the word, that this hypocisy in healthcare must end, otherwise we all pay in the end with our health. You choose, pay now or pay later.

No comments: